Tuesday, March 17, 2015

My favorite books from last year

I know it's three months into 2015 already, but I'm just now starting my blog so, whatever. I'm going to post my favorites from the books I read last year.

The Android's Dream - John Scalzi
By far my favorite book from last year, it's a humorous sci-fi adventure. Scalzi has a slightly more realistic approach to the future while still giving outlandishly fun technology and characters in his world. The book is filled with spies, extremely advanced AI, farting assassinations, and my favorite part an entire religion based of making fictional prophecies come true. 

"not because they were divinely inspired but because they weren't. If a group actively working to make entirely fictional prophecies come true managed to pull off the stunt, the whole concept of divinely inspired prophecy was thrown into doubt, chalking up a victory for rational thought everywhere."

I enjoyed every moment of this book, it's lighthearted and fun with a lot of excitement. Strongly recommend. 

The Martian - Andy Weir
A fantastic series of catastrophes leads to an astronaut being stranded on mars. The main character is incredibly lovable, and with a very open personality. The book is written in kind of a mix of first person log entries and third person narrative. The technical details are very abundant, which adds to a sense of realism to the main character's struggle for survival. If technical details are not your cup of tea, you may want to skip it, however, if you want a really fun and exciting survival story this is definitely the one I'd recommend. 

There were some other great books I've read this year, but those two were by far my favorites. Both sci-fi which used to be only a guilty pleasure of mine now seems to be my genre of choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment